This brief looks at the use of value chains in African consumer markets and asks “who in the value chain has the most influence over consumer brand choice”. It questions whether putting too much emphasis on the traditional value chain model risks obscuring where brand building activity happens in [traditional] markets and looks at the role of smaller wholesale players as brand builders.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What Is A Value Chain?
- Weight of Channel
- What Does Value Add Mean?
- How Is The Value Chain Structured in Africa?
- Changes In The Value Chain
- How Brands Can Directly Influence Consumers
Table of Figures
- Sample value chain
- Sample value chain mapping weight of distribution
- Proximity and volume
- What does value add mean?
- The reach of a regional wholesaler in Bertoua